Thursday, August 23, 2007

Being a Mommy

As we quickly approach 5 months, I find it funny that some days I am still waiting for the mommy to come get this little girl that never leaves. It is still so hard to believe that she will be mine forever. She's not leaving. And truly I am okay with that, it is just this fleeting thought that goes through my head every now and again. I think it is all still sinking in. I mean shit after 34 years I had pretty much written mommy off the list of things to accomplish in my lifetime. I wouldn't trade it...not yet anyway...I live for 4:30 when I can pick her up from the babysitters. To see that smile and the string of drool dribbling down her chin. And believe it or not that doesn't even bug me. Now she hasn't thrown up in my shoe yet (Derek) so the verdict is still out as to how I will be able to handle everything that comes out of that mouth, but for some reason I think "NO" will be harder than any bodily fluid she could muster up.

I am suddenly listening to classical music in my car and Pajama Time is on my top five best reads for 2007. My bedtime is 9pm (sometimes I live on the edge and make it until 9:30). I now have to "dress" for dinner and am quickly learning the art of dunk and cover (Nora lets us know she is done eating by blowing out the last mouthfuls of cereal). I celebrate poop. The traumas of childbirth have become the topic or rather joke of my adult conversations. I have realized nursing mom's are much like cows. But mostly I have learned the value of a minute!

Of course some things will never change...pigs still don't sing la la la and those silly monkeys are still going to fall off the bed.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Pigs sing in my house. But then again, Cars talk too. It's all kinds of messed up around here!
Give those big cheeks a huge smooch for me when you pick Miss Nora up at 4:30 today. I miss you!