Saturday, August 22, 2009

Literally Speaking

Who knew that a 2.5 year old takes things so literally???

Nora has extremely bad reactions to bug bites. Our doc said to give her a dose of benedryl when we think she's been bitten to minimize this reaction.

Today was our yard care day.

Mommy was mowing, daddy doing the trim and Nora playing with her tricycle and sidewalk chalk. We finish and head in for lunch. I decided we should do the "preventative" dose of benedryl before nap so I gave Nora the medicine "spoon" (Nora likes to play that she doesn't know how to take the meds and puts it up to her mouth as asks if this is right...after a bunch of no's and yes's she gives in and takes the medicine.) All of a sudden, Nora is asking me to clean up the mess the medicine had made. I was a little confused. I had just handed the medicine to her and told it is was for her bug bites...why was it all over the floor??? It's not like she hasn't taking medicine before.

I refilled the part of the dosage I thought was lying on the floor and handed it back to her telling her not to play around and take the medicine. She takes it and starts to pour it (once again) over her bug bites. Then it dawned on me...I had told Nora the medicine was for her bug bites. She was simply trying to give it to her bug bites. An ahh-hah moment for Mommy...no sweetie...you need to drink the medicine to help your bug bites.

And once again all is right in the world!!

No comments: